1st POLL RESULTS – what concerns you most?

Results: Very interesting… loss of hope for the future, repercussions on our planet’s life and the rise of a new type of racism all received the same first-place scores ; loneliness & alienation was 10% behind those three; quality of education was another approximately 10% behind that; and big changes in family life did not score at all (very reassuring).

9 comments on “1st POLL RESULTS – what concerns you most?
  1. Avatar Sarah Martin says:

As a friend said, “there is alot of noise out there in the world and media, how do we listen for the signal instead”. I think this is part of what you are getting at, Ellyn, with your website.
    I offer a couple of reflections from a Richard Rohr meditation that seem in alignment with this. He quotes Etty Hillisum who was in a concentration camp “There is a really deep well in me. And it dwells in God, sometimes I am there too…..and that is all we can manage these days and also all that really matters: that we safeguard that little piece of you, God, in ourselves.”
    I know myself that I have often been reading the news in a compulsive way, and I am now realising that it is mainly noise and I need to stay closer to healthy practises.
    I am just really starting the journey to know more about racism and white supremacy at a deeper level. I have been able to discern the difference between systemic racism, and having friends of colour that I care about, and that I have not knowingly harmed. I did not know that the I have always been swimming with the current, (white privilege), and this is not the experience of many other people of colour.

2. Avatar Trevor Judd says:

It was difficult for me to choose a single focus (like asking me my favourite song of all time :), but I feel my strongest and most passionate opinion is regarding the environment – I’d like to jump right into some optimism if I may. I think a lot flows from an environmental focus – existence of the planet, new industries and jobs (that will reduce the marginalization of many), new educational focuses and delivery of education creating opportunities for great minds in all countries (1st-2nd-3rd world) to be engaged with their perspectives and working toward a common goal.

In a way I think the pandemic has become part of an important perfect storm that has been building for decades. The planet is due for a much needed reset – somewhat like the reset opportunities provided by the Industrial Revolution and the World Wars. One example for this period, I’d argue that Internet Technology has proven itself indispensable thru the Pandemic (just look how we are engaging with each other here, plus the world has at least kept functioning albeit far from perfect).

Many Brave souls have tried to convince us for decades as to the need to get away from fossil fuels and move to alternative clean energy; fortunately I’ve already seen talk in the world media where some countries are seeing this period as an opportunity to take part in this newest societal evolution to redefine their country’s roll and fortunes to lead or at least not get left behind. I hope this is the time. Out of pain comes opportunity and growth (just ask most artists) but we must see it an act upon it (I’m sure that has been said more eloquently). Thank you Ellyn.

• Avatar ellyn says:

Trevor, thank you so much for contributing to the website’s first poll, and for digging deep. And, in the way of the perfect essay, you state your thesis: the pandemic has become part of an important perfect storm that has been building for decades. I believe that. And there have other eras of reset; but we mustn’t forget our own individual needs to reboot to our own factory defaults. More please, Trevor! eep

3. Avatar Emmy Beauchamp says:

I think the question about the repercussions on our planet’s life is what concerns me most. I’m hoping we will see this time as a wake-up call, take note of the many places where we are falling short and the many vital lessons we are learning, then DO SOMETHING to make life better for all of us and healthier for our planet. We seem to be at a crossroad in the history of the world. I pray that we’ll find the right direction.

• Avatar ellyn says:

Well said, Emmy! I agree about the “crossroad” you suggest. And you’re right about “doing something”. I wonder at times if we get bogged down in the enormity of mess we’ve made and think it’s too much. eep

4. Avatar Rikki Durbin says:

What a difficult question to answer. My concerns can, and often do, change from day to day. This will depend upon my mood of the day! That being said, today, I feel the negativity I hear all the time. We must try to be POSITIVE about all the information we get about the pandemic – everyone is flying by the seat of their pants! New information is discovered almost every day and we will come through this – eventually. Thanks for this opportunity Ellyn.

• Avatar ellyn says:

Hi Rikki, I appreciate your acknowledgement of the varied feelings and moods our new circumstances create. The trick is to see if we’re fitting them into how we are already feeling or if they have indeed created new affect for us. Let’s hear more about this! eep

5. Avatar Sheri Cabena says:

Each day is a challenge to find balance between getting needed information and finding seeds of inspiration. We are told to avoid doomsearching online so we need balance again with the tools that are our most important way of staying connected.
    This is a great website….thanks Ellyn

• Avatar ellyn says:

Sheri, thank you for your comment, regarding the poll. I always appreciate how you support the website. Yes, balance and full use of the imagination are such important tools right now.. eep